Tuesday, November 27, 2007

An alarming find!

I thought I was pretty careful in chosing toys n' such for my children this year. With the rediculous number of recalls from items from china, including but not limited to: Beef sold here, toys, etc, we all need to be diligent.

What I don't get is how they can continue to get away with this. I heard a story on the news last night about beef being recalled that was dated October 10 and they say, "If you have it, don't eat it, throw it out". HELLO! If anyone DID have meat dated OCTOBER 10, I think we would have ate it already! How can this continue to happen? I have seriously been considering going vegetarian because of this ongoing problem.

Now about toys, I guess America just doesn't make it's own toys anymore. I was very careful in my selections this year, though I did not read the labels. I shopped at my local PX thinking surely it would be made in the USA, nope! I bought my son a castle set with a dragon, etc, ... Made in China! Barbie: Made in China, Childrens watches from Wal-Mart: Made in China, Lite Brite: Made in China, Playdoh Creations Bucket: Made in China. Black spiderman Venom: Made in China.

So what did I buy that WASN'T made in China? A Coloring book: Made in Ashland, Ohio and guess what the crayons... Made in the USA! (crayola brand) Thank God for that at least! It would be pretty terrible if the coloring book was made here and the crayons in china!

Other things that you can find that are not made in china: Clothes. I purchased some Old Navy Clothes for christmas that were not made in china.

:) So good luck to everyone this year. It is slim pickin's for American Made products. I am not too worried about my China selections since my kids are old enough they do not put things into their mouths, but I would be extra careful if you have babies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You're right, it *is* alarming. Basically, it is an alarming display of corporate greed. Large companies have been farming out manufacturing jobs to the third world on the quiet for years, to the point where very little is made in the G8 nations that consume them anymore. As stated in an article I wrote a little while ago: 80% of all toys sold in the USA are made in China. EIGHTY PERCENT! It's crazy. It's out of control. Really, the only thing that consumers can do to combat this trend is exactly what you are doing, as stated above: don't buy that stuff. Personally, I would like nothing more than to see warehouses of cheap crap made in China that was shipped over here for the Christmas rush go unsold. Send Mattel and companies like it a message right to their pocketbook. That's the only place where they'll hear it.

Sunny said...

Exactly right! and from what I have been hearing on the news, THEY ARE CONCERNED! this is supposed to be when stores get their biggest returns for the whole year and already, toy shopping is DOWN for this year. Everyone is taking notice and it's about time!

Compare and save

Play these games Now-FREE

Play Sonic the Hedgehog now, free!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Free Counter